Wednesday 15 October 2008

Post Office Games

I receive shedloads of catalogues - a few I subscribe to and the majority I do not. I tried emailing the various companies asking them to take my name off their mailing list - consternation - I found that many of these companies then started sending me two catalogues!

A friend advised me the best way to stop these catalogues from flooding through your letterbox was to just scrawl 'Return to Sender' upon the outside and cover up your own name with a label requesting removal from mailing list and post back. This seemed to work for a bit - just a little bit.

I think our local sorting office decided I was a nuisance and I found the wretched catalogues returning to me with my sticky label torn off to re-display my name and address. I now have a different system - I add the return address on another sticky label - I think the sorting office do not like searching the catalogue for the return address - so far success.

We do not have a letter box - we have an American style mail box attached to our porch. All of the four new houses find these difficult. If we go away we have to arrange for a neighbour to empty our box - I think it can only hold about 5 thick A4 letters in total. You ask why do we not insert a letter box - we have very nice thick oak front doors - it would be a mammoth job to install a letter box - way beyond Husband and I.

5 comments:

DayPhoto said...

I have just found your blog and find it a real delight. I am in Colorado of the U.S.A. and would love to add you to my blog. Would you be up for that? If so don't click on my name, that will take you to the school blog and it is monitored, but go to this address and let me know.

Thanks,
Linda
htto://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It is an irritation to keep receiving unsolicited "junk". I have started returning in another envelope, making sure my address is on the inside in the hope that having to pay extra postage on receipt the company might get the message and remove me from their mailing list.

A

French Fancy... said...

Out here in France we also do not have slots in doorways - it is all the American style ones. A much better look to the door and it also stops any chewing by our bichons.

The best way to stop junk mail arriving is to move to another country - mind you it eventually starts there as well.

DayPhoto said...

I have tagged you on my blog.. hope to see yours next!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Lakeland Jo said...

I will tell my mum about your catalogue strategy! She is also plagued with them- about twenty a week at least! She has also heard that the return to sender plan is one to try.
I suggested the block junk mail service now run by the post office.