Monday 30 June 2008

Cows run amok!

Woke up this morning and looked out of bedroom window - cows had broken through electric fencing and raided our compost heap (I do not mind that) and eaten most of our apple tree! We quickly erected some green fencing and informed farmer that cows might have tummy aches through eating hot compost!

As I have called my blog 'Rural Villager' and I appreciate countryside living - I must take what comes! Actually it is the very windy weather that is getting Husband and I down at the moment - our garden (now almost two years old) is suffering and young plants are curling their leaves up at the icy blasts!

I have been asked to do this meme by Lane's Write - so here goes:

What were you doing 10 years ago?

I was a secretary working from home to a chartered surveyor who also worked at his home in a garden shed - I typed many long survey reports. Hobbling around on the wonky knees before they were made even wonkier with replacement knees. Dodger, our black labrador, was keepng Husband fit. We also kept about 20 hens, most of which were rare breeds.

Five things on your to-do list for today:
1) Watch Wimbledon.
2) ) Ignore doorbell so that I can watch Wimbledon
3) About every hour search field for bull as he is ill to make sure he is still standing. Inform farmer if he looks dodgy.
4) Ride Supatrike to village shop to get some cash
5) Tell Husband when he comes home from a golf competition what a busy day I had!

What are three of your bad habits?
1) Speaking too fast.
2) Eating chocolate in the form of Magnums
3) Impatience

What snacks do you enjoy?
1) Sliced Bananas with milk
2) Jacobs Chocolate Biscuits with orange cream centres
3) Fruit and nut mix
4) Bread and jam
5) Avocardo Pear

What were the last five books you read?
1) The Poisonwood Bible
2) In My Country by Ian Walthew
3) Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir
4) The Lady Elizabeth by Alison Weir.
5) All in the series of Ladies Detective Agency

What are five jobs you have had?
1. Nurse
2. Secretary
3. Fruit and Veg Shop Assistant
4. Secretary to Timex Head Office in Bermuda
5. Receptionist at local doctor's surgery

Five places you’ve lived

1) Born into a washing up bowl in a pub in Usk, Wales. Mum was a milk tester and had to rush to the nearest place of assistance as I came a month early.
2) Leatherhead in Surrey until 18
3) Bermuda for four years in my early 20's
4) South Glos
5) North Wilts

Phew - have had enough of that - I pass this on to anyone else who cares to have a go. It is back to Wimbledon goggle watching for me!

7 comments:

Maggie May said...

Was good to find out more about you! Born in a washing up bowl! Not many people could say that!
I have already done this meme.
Cows eating the compost, bull ill but still standing. Life is so different here! Two cars had smashed wing mirrors due to vandals in the night here!

Lindsay said...

Vandalism not quite so rife here - but we were generous hosts at 'Trick or Treat' last year to sweeten up the youngsters in the hope they will remember us kindly when they are older and come back worse for wear from the pub!

Liz Hinds said...

You've had an interesting life. Did the pub landlord continue to use the bowl for washing up?!


I love Mme Ramotswe.

Lindsay said...

My parents visited the Usk pub on my 21st birthday (I was living in Bermuda) and met the same "chambermaid", as my Dad called her,which was nice for all of them. Curiously our new neighbours (we are a new build development of four houses) moved from Usk and they intend to take me on a visit to The Three Salmons Pub!

Boyfromoz said...

Now I know why you're all washed up!

Lane Mathias said...

Born in a washing up bowl!

That's something you don't get to read every day!

Ian said...

Thanks for reading my book, but it's actually called 'A Place in My Country'!

Does it matter, not really, but thought I'd mention it ;)

Kind regards,
Ian

www.ianwalthew.com
www.aplaceintheauvergne.blogspot.com